Get Out Your Money Two Carl Fogarty Ducati 888 Corsa’s Could be Yours!
If you don’t know who Carl Fogarty is, you probably aren’t into Ducati’s or World Superbike racing. He is quite simply the legend of World Superbike racing. Renowned and worshipped his gutsy, aggressive racing style and a determination to win at all costs, that produced four World Superbike titles and a total of eight world crowns! Yes he’s known as King Carl!
He was the reason I fell in love with motorcycle racing and Ducati. And I will never forget the moment. I was standing at the fence during a WSBK race at Tt Circuit Assen at the end of the start/finish straight. He flew by and then placed his Ducati into the right hand corner. I felt the power and vibes to my soul!
Who knew just a few years later I would be a guest in his pit box, same track with his team-mate Troy Corser while they did their warming up laps preparing for the big WSBK race in 1999-his last season exited with another World title!
More About Carl Fogarty
- Carl Fogarty was born on July 1, 1965 in Blackburn and started riding in competitions at the age of 14 before progressing on to the international stage at the age of 23 when he became the Formula 1 TT world champion.
- He is the most successful World Superbike racer of all time in terms of the number of championships and number of race wins
- The Blackburn Rovers (UK football club) fan won four World Superbike Championships in 1994, 1995, 1998 and 1999.
- Renowned for his fast corner speed riding style, combined with an aggressive competitiveness, which netted him 59 race victories.
- 1993 was the beginning of his era as a factory Ducati rider. He battled with Scott Russell for the title, winning 11 races to the American’s five, but still came second.
- Fogarty was forced to retire from racing in 2000 after a racing incident at Philip Island when he hit privateer Ducati rider Robert Ulm and crashed.
- He suffered multiple injuries, including a serious shoulder injury which failed to heal well enough to allow him to race again.
In 2002, Ducati released a special limited edition mode in his honour, the Monster S4 Fogarty. The auction house Bonhams, UK will sell 2 ex-Carl Fogarty Ducati Superbikes at “Important Vintage & Collectors’ Motorcycles International Classic Motorcycle Show”, Stafford England on 24 April 2011. Bonhams is thrilled to offer for sale two Ducati’s associated with four-time World Superbike Champion, Carl Fogarty, both of which are owned by the same private collector in Northern Ireland.
The first is the Ducati 888 Corsa on which Carl won both the Superbike race and the headline event at the North West 200 in 1993, and which later was campaigned by Michael Rutter in the British Superbike Championship. This historic machine was purchased by the current vendor in 2005 and has since been rebuilt by marque specialist John Hackett at Ducati Coventry. Estimate £26,000 – 30,000.
The 888 Corsa was reunited with Carl at the Ulster Grand Prix meeting in August 2009 where he rode the second of the two Ducati’s on offer, the 1998 916SPS ‘Fogarty Replica’. (Picture start grid 1998) This machine, the 2nd off the production line, was given to Carl by the Ducati factory and comes with two authenticating plaques, one of which states that the gift was in recognition of his ‘outstanding contribution to the success of Ducati’. The machine retains its original and most appropriate registration number: ‘S3 FOG’, Carl having won his 3rd Superbike Championship in 1998. Estimate £21,000 – 25,000.