BMW Motorrad is launching the BMW Motorrad Street Air Motorcycle Airbag Jacket by Alpinestars, an advanced airbag system offering comprehensive upper body protection and the freedom to ride a motorbike in both on and off-road situations.
The technology adopted from the current Alpinestars Tech-Air street airbag system – a system requiring no motorbike-mounted sensors. The airbag system of Alpinestars uses a sophisticated algorithm that detects imminent danger with the greatest precision and inflates the full upper body airbag to provide a highly effective crash protection system, ahead of the first impact.
The BMW Motorrad Street Air Dry by Alpinestars textile riding jacket is designed to interconnect with the Alpinestars airbag system vest and is an essential component for the system to be fully operational.
Airbag System of Alpinestars Utilizes Sophisticated Algorithm That Detects Imminent Danger
It offers instantaneous inflatable upper body protection to the back, kidneys, chest and shoulders – the most exposed areas in a crash. It is also fully independent, incorporating its sensors close to the rider’s or passenger’s body means the airbag activates without the need for a triggering wireless signal to be sent from the bike.
This jacket is the first safety product to be launched under an exclusive agreement, between BMW Motorrad and Alpinestars and is available for both female and male customers in different colorways from October 2016.
Key features of BMW Motorrad Street Air Motorcycle Airbag Jacket:
- Full airbag inflation in 25 milliseconds for protection during crash impacts and loss-of-control situations when riding but also in stand-still situation – for example a rear impact while waiting at traffic lights.
- Function is independently of the need for sensors to be installed on the bike and the later need to link a specific motorcycle to the airbag system.
- Immediately ready for use and no time is wasted in setting up electronic pairing between rider and/or passenger and motorcycle. Rider can easily switch between motorbikes without reconfiguring or reinitializing.
- Placing sensors near to the body means the airbag system can be used on road or for off-road adventure-touring.
- No need to deactivate the system if leaving the road for off-road trails or to stop in between to change settings. Changing surfaces while adventure touring therefore presents no problem.
- System is protected by a durable and water-resistant casing which, when worn under a compatible outer jacket, means the airbag system is fully weatherproof.
Alpinestars has been innovating motorcycle riding technology for rider protection, performance and comfort for over 50 years. The Tech- Air™ airbag system, which forms the basis of their active safety cooperation with BMW Motorrad, is the result of Alpinestars’ intensive research and development which commenced in 2001.
For decades, both companies have maintained a leading role in active and passive motorcycling safety. This new cooperation, between BMW Motorrad and Alpinestars, is now extending their position further through this joint development agreement.