There’s no disputing the fact of how many of us can be put off by Harley-Davidson’s traditionally heavy touring machines and at first sight they can be downright intimidating! For many women motorcycle riders seeking a long haul touring motorcycle, often these are just out of reach – no pun intended. Yet as more women continue to spend more time on the road covering longer distances – and now with the new 2015 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low – big country touring is easier!
Within the first few blocks of riding the 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Low it was obvious that this beauty did not feel like the usual touring motorcycles – the weightiness was gone. Hard to believe on this fully loaded 399 kg’s (879 lbs.) air-cooled, high output twin cam 103 – 1690 cc machine! This first hand experienced underlined in my view, Harley’s desire to be not just the brand of choice but the bike of choice for female riders and riders of smaller stature who may have excluded the touring sector as an option.
Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low is Low
The Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low is just that –low! As soon as you settle into the seat you feel more comfortable and confident than ever before. The seat is positioned to get a rider’s feet closer to the pavement just of 68.6 cm’s (27 inches) from the ground which reduces further the reach to the foot controls. It’s one of the lowest long haul touring motorcycles on the market allowing more riders to place both feet flat on the ground when the motorcycle is stopped. It’s first-class front and rear suspension lowers the bike’s centre of gravity and makes it easier to lift the motorcycle off its side stand. Suspension also lowers the bike’s centre of gravity, making it more manageable for smaller riders.
It’s not just height a few other adjustments make the Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Low fit in other ways. New handlebar design brings the controls two inches closer to the rider putting many riders in a more comfortable position that can reduce back and shoulder strain. The hand grips are smaller as well reducing “finger reach” to clutch and brake levers and a new “toe tab extension” even makes it easier to reach the side stand.
The width of both the primary drive housing and derby cover has been reduced to further improve leg clearance to the ground. Plus the assist and slip hydraulic clutch reduces lever effort, a key benefit in stop-and-go traffic.
A new passenger foot-board mount allows the foot-boards to be folded up out of the way when pushing the motorcycle in a garage or driveway.
Visually indistinguishable from standard Harley-Davidson Touring models, the new Ultra Classic Low is equipped with the full complement of Project RUSHMORE features that have recalibrated the expectations of touring motorcyclists. The look, sound and feel of the premium Harley-Davidson Touring experience is unaltered, but it’s the fit which will be right for more riders.
- High Output Twin Cam 103 engine provides abundant power for touring two-up and confident passing.
- A wind tunnel-tested Batwing fairing with split stream vent limits head buffeting.
- The Boom! Box 4.3 audio system features Bluetooth capability and a 25-watt-per-channel amplifier driving four speakers.
- Project RUSHMORE led to: the Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS, the Daymaker™ LED headlamps and fog lamps, brighter Tour-Pak® luggage carrier lighting, brighter turn signals, brighter brake lights, and a steering head with stiffer front forks.
- H-D Smart Security System (Optional) The factory-installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle’s electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike.
- Air-Adjustable Suspension with air-adjustable suspension that comes standard, you can dial in your ride to accommodate heavier or lighter payloads. The lighter the load, the softer you can go by decreasing the air pressure a bit, or increase the air pressure for a more firm ride. A convenient air valve is located between the saddlebag and rear fender for quick adjusting.
- Brembo Brakes are mounted on a 4-piston front and rear caliper with dual front rotor brake system.
- Reflex Linked Brakes with Anti-lock Braking System/ABS. The front and rear brakes are electronically linked to provide exactly the right amount of brake to each tire no matter what the road condition is.
- LED Tour-Pak Lighting -Bright, eye-catching LED Tour-Pak luggage carrier lighting isn’t there for glory.
- A King Tour-Pak carrier and hard saddlebags
- 6.5-inch Full Color Touch Screen Display (Optional)
Two tone colour option (white hot pearl/blue hot pearl) pictured here,
CAD 31,119.00 USD 25,449.00
The 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Glide Ultra Classic Low brilliantly reinforces the Harley-Davidson’s desire to be the bike of choice for women motorcycle riders. It has a package of features designed to work together to address comfort and fit issues specific to riders of shorter stature. From the width of the primary drive housing to the diameter of the hand grips, Harley-Davidson went over its premium touring motorcycles from top to bottom, responding to customer input to develop a better fit for riders as short as 5’5″ inches tall.
The only negative I noted was that the suspension, bringing the bike lower to the ground, responds a little tougher.
This is definitely your first choice long haul touring motorcycle – but one I found just fine for everyday use as well!
You’ll have a lot of fun on the Harley-Davidson Ultra Glide Classic Low – you’ll feel the fun, the confidence in it’s handling and the comfort to keep on going.
For full specifications visit Harley-Davidson online
*Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low ride review by Vicki Gray
MOTORESS director, Vicki Gray is a basic and advanced motorcycle instructor – certified for over 25 years. She is a motorcycle licensing examiner and has instructed, examined and licensed riders for European and North American road racing schools.