The beautiful new 1200cc Triumph Speed Twin re-introduces a legendary Triumph name and sets a new category benchmark for how a custom roadster should ride and feel, with class leading handling and thrilling performance.
Changing the face of motorcycling, the original 1938 Triumph Speed Twin, with the world’s first successful parallel twin engine packaged into a game changing chassis, was a revelation to ride. Its smooth dynamic handling and superb responsive feel established Triumph as the number one motorcycle marque globally for performance and handling, setting the template for all that followed, and earning a global reputation for being the first real ‘riders bike’. For 2019, the all-new 1200cc Triumph Speed Twin re-introduces this illustrious Triumph.
Class Leading Handling
The dedicated new frame developed from the Thruxton R delivers comfortable engaged roadster ergonomics, which combined with the high specification cartridge front forks and twin rear suspension units with adjustable spring pre-load, make for a truly unparalleled ride.
High specification twin Brembo 4-piston axial callipers on the front with twin discs, and a 2-piston floating calliper and single disc on the rear, provide excellent stopping power, complementing the motorcycle’s modern roadster character.
New Triumph Speed Twin Benefits:
- 17 inch, lightweight 7 spoke cast aluminium wheels
- High specification Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyres
- ABS and switchable traction control as standard
- Comfortable, upright, engaged riding position
- Tapered handlebars and new upper yoke and risers
- A comfortable new bench seat at a low height of 807mm, making the bike accessible for all riders
- A significant 10 kilogram weight saving compared to the Thruxton, contributing to its class leading handling.
The modern roadster character comes to life through its 1200cc High Power 8 valve, parallel twin Bonneville engine, specifically updated for the new Speed Twin. This revised high performance engine features a low inertia crank and high compression head, and is developed from the Thruxton R’s powerplant.
Together these deliver a unique 2.5kg weight saving versus the Thruxton engine. With 97PS peak power @ 6,750rpm, the new Speed Twin achieves an impressive 76% increase over the 2016/17 Street Twin, and 49% more than the 2018 Street Twin. Additionally the new Speed Twin engine also delivers a strong peak torque figure of 112 Nm @ 4,950rpm – an amazing 40% more than the 2018 Street Twin.
The Speed Twin’s all new distinctive twin upswept silencers, with satin black painted wrap and stainless steel end caps deliver the unmistakable sound of a British Twin, a unique exhaust note that matches its powerful and legendary character – rich, deep and full.
Behind the stylish exterior sits a liquid cooling system, carefully integrated to minimise its visual impact whilst achieving clean emissions and enhancing fuel efficiency. Combined with an extended first major service interval of 10,000 miles (16,000km), this contributes to a reduced overall cost of ownership.
Advanced Rider Technology
With rider-focused technology the Speed Twin delivers advanced rider control and safety, plus enhanced rider confidence – sensitively integrated to maintain its iconic Bonneville style and character.
Technology features include:
- Three riding modes. Linked to the ride-by-wire system, the three selectable riding modes, Sport, Road and Rain, each with dedicated throttle maps and traction control settings, providing enhanced rider control and safety, and in ‘Sport’, a more immediate throttle response.
- ABS. The contemporary safety standard, with minimal visual impact, the ABS is responsive yet unobtrusive.
- Switchable traction control. Managing the Speed Twin’s high torque delivery when traction is compromised, the switchable system offers increased rider control.
- LED DRL headlight. Incorporated into the headlight, the LED daytime running light brings excellent visibility and a distinctive light profile (where legislation allows).
- LED rear light & indicators Built into the classically inspired minimal tail set-up, the LED rear light and indicators bring a distinctive rear light pattern and excellent power efficiency.
- Ride-by-wire. Enhancing throttle responsiveness, safety and feel.
- Torque assist clutch. Optimised for a lighter touch and feel to the clutch to make it easier to ride, and ride longer.
- Switchgear. Elegant switchgear presents simple fingertip controls for easy access to the key features on the new twin clocks.
- USB charging socket. For maximum rider convenience, the USB charging socket charges riders’ essential devices.
- Engine immobiliser. Transponder integrated into the key adds greater security.
- Stylish twin clocks. New twin clocks, beautifully detailed and premium, incorporate a digital menu system accessed by the handlebar mounted scroll button.
Stunning Modern Custom Style
With all of Triumph’s timeless DNA, married to a modern stripped back custom look, muscular poise and a host of beautifully designed premium features, the Speed Twin is the most contemporary styled Bonneville ever.
- Signature sculpted 14 litre fuel tank
- Custom style bench seat
- Minimal front and rear mudguard set-up with small rear light (and integrated brake and turn signals in the US and Canada)
- Sculpted side panels with aluminium badge detailing
- Twin upswept sports silencers
- Contemporary bar end mirrors
Leading Finish And Detailing
The new Speed Twin continues the class leading theme of the whole Bonneville family when it comes to its premium level of finish and detailing, including:
- Brushed aluminium mudguards, throttle body covers, side panel finishers and heel guards
- Bright anodised forged aluminium headlight brackets
- Distinctive Monza-style locking fuel cap
- New 7-spoke aluminium wheels
- Clear anodised aluminium swingarm
- Painted headlamp bowl and bezel
- Handlebar clamp with Speed Twin branding.
- Three colour choices: Silver Ice and Storm Grey, with hand-painted Graphite coach line and white stripe; Korosi Red and Storm Grey, with hand-painted graphite coach line and white stripe; Jet Black.
Visit Triumph Motorcycles to view full specs and to find a dealer near you!